Sunday, September 4, 2016

9/4/2016

I don’t know if every runner is the same as me, but running is my ‘out’ for each day. It is literally my cool down/de-stressing/one-on-one time with myself. As such, I often spend most of my time reflecting when I go for a run. Sometimes I put my grocery list together, figure out my schedule for the week, write speeches in my head, work on my Sunday sharing time lesson, put my to-do list together, etc... During one particular run last week I was able to contemplate the beauty of the world around me and feel God’s love for everything he has blessed me with. I hear of people who spend their entire lives trying to fulfill their dreams, but I realized that I am already living my dream. As a little girl I fantasized on what my future would be like, and what I would want to do when I got older. This was my list:


  1. Be a stay at home mother
  2. Marry the best man on the face of the planet
  3. Be a coach for Skyline High School
  4. Live in the house where I grew up
  5. Be an ordinance worker in the Idaho Falls Temple
  6. Qualify for the Olympic Trials


Our family pictures last year


Done and done, although I know my story doesn’t end there. Life is always full of changes and struggles, but at this point in my life I can be grateful that my dreams have been fulfilled thus far.


Admittedly, when I was in my early years of college I thought I would end up an old maid because I didn’t believe there was a ‘Mr. Right’ for me. And if I couldn’t find ‘Mr. Right’, I wouldn’t have kids, so I couldn’t be a stay at home mother. And if I didn’t have kids, I’d probably move far away to find a job, thus, I couldn’t coach at Skyline, and I couldn’t live in the house where I grew up. As such, I consoled myself to the fact that I would get a degree in archaeology, then work in Central/South America, Greece, or Italy excavating and studying ancient runes. If that were the case, I would be far away from the Idaho Falls Temple (so I couldn’t be an ordinance worker), and I likely wouldn’t be able to spend time running (to qualify for the Olympic Trials). And just like that, my childhood dreams would waft out the window :) All things aside, I knew that being an archaeologist wasn’t conducive to family life, so I chose to get a degree in education in the hopes that I would indeed find ‘Mr. Right’ and have a family. Now that I have married my Mr. Right, have two wonderful children, and a degree in education, I can see the wonderful benefits my education has provided me as a mother.


First: I am qualified to ‘home preschool’ my children. Please note: I still haven’t decided whether I will homeschool them or send them to public school when they are older. Regardless, I am a very conventional person and I believe that children learn best through personal experience and hands-on exploration. So most of Logan’s and Charlotte’s education takes place as they work alongside me. They love to help me in the morning when I weed the garden, pick fruits or vegetables, pick flowers, water plants, bake food, can food, do laundry, do the dishes, clean up toys, vacuum and sweep the floor, mow the lawn, rake pine needles, set the table for meals, etc... The best part is, I don’t force them to help - they beg me to let them help. Then when most of the work is done, they play, take naps, and go to cross country practice with me. I also take about 30 minutes every day to read to my children (15 minutes before naps and 15 minutes before bedtime). Although they enjoy it when I read books to them, I haven’t forced them to learn how to read by themselves. When the time comes I know they will ask me to teach them to read, write, do math, etc… But right now, I can let them be little kids who love to help and listen to stories.

My little country girl Logan and Charlotte helped save a bird from drowning in our pond


Second: If anything should ever happen to where I need to go into the workforce, I have a degree that can literally get me hired almost instantaneously (especially in Idaho where highly qualified/certified teachers are sometimes difficult to come by). In fact, when I went into the principal’s office at Skyline High School a few weeks ago to have him sign some papers for me, he literally tried to hire me when he found out I had a teaching certificate. When I turned him down (because I believe Skyline already has the best history teachers in Idaho - and I don’t need to ruin their good streak), he tried to convince me to at least become a substitute teacher. I graciously turned him down again and admitted that I preferred to be a stay at home mother. But at least I know I am always needed should the necessity arise.


Third: Getting a degree has prepared me to be a better coach. There were so many invaluable lessons I learned in college that gave me the necessary tools for coaching. I actually tried to earn a minor in coaching, but after my first semester in that field I was informed that it wasn’t allowed with my major in history (unless I wanted to get a double minor, which I didn’t). So I got a minor in Political Science instead. I can’t begin to describe how the invaluable information I gain in Political Science has made me a more productive/involved member of my community. Following that experience I realized that good can even come out of something I didn’t initially plan for.


While most of my childhood dreams have been fulfilled, I still have several dreams on my bucket list for when I am older, after Tim is retired, such as;


  1. Serve as a couple missionary and go on several missions
  2. Work in the temple again
  3. Visit Europe
  4. Spend time with kids, grandkids, and great grandkids
  5. Run until the day I die, but still have room for my sweet tooth


Running is my best justification for having seconds, or thirds, or even eating the whole pan of dessert, and it works!


And I’m sure my list will continue to grow, but for now I can be satisfied with where God has taken me, and strive to continue to fulfill His plan for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment