Friday, August 8, 2014

Night Running 101


I’m an occasional night runner.  Sometimes I feel like that’s the only time that I can go for a run.  And I will admit, when I go running at night, I don’t always wear the best reflective gear.  I also don’t run in the best areas that may not have street lamps.  It’s just me, the dark night, and the flash light on my phone.  I don’t know how many of you are like me, but this is definitely not smart or safe to do.  


Here are some tips for running at night (let’s be a little smarter): 

  • Run against traffic.  It’s easier to avoid cars if you can see them coming.  Also avoid busy roads and roads with no shoulders or sidewalks.  

  • Make sure that you are visible.  Do not wear dark colored clothing.  Make sure you are wearing clothing that is white or bright, like yellow and orange colors.  You can also think about wearing reflective gear like a vest or a headlamp.  More the better.  Also, make sure you choose a well-lit road.  

  • Incase of an emergency, always have some kind of identification on you.  Wear your driver’s license in your pocket or in your shoe.

  • Run with a buddy.  If you can, run with a partner so your not alone.  If you are running alone, let someone know the route you’re running and how long you think you will be out.

  • Change your running routes and times up.  Don’t make yourself an easy target.

  • Luckily, many of us do this, but carry your cell phone with you.

  • Beware of other runners and cyclist on the roads.  

  • Leave the music at home.  You want to make sure you can hear everything that is around you.  Listening to music at night can just be too dangerous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment