Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Yoga for Runners


 Running and Yoga


I know that I am no expert in the running field.  I run because it’s something that I love to do and it makes me feel good.  This past week I got an email from my Daily Fit Tip.  It was titled: "Yes, Runners, You Need to Do Yoga".  I was curious on what this article had to say, so I opened it up to read.  Me and Yoga pretty much equals none existence.  For me when I think of yoga, I feel inpatient.  I have a hard time "sitting" for a period of time for exercise.  BUT, I do realize the importance of stretching and how crucial it is.  
As I said, I read that email and than decided I should do some more reading and more research on the benefits of yoga for runners.  And like I said, I’m definitely not a yoga expert, nor have I ever tried it, but after the things that I have read and how yoga and running contemplate each other, I’m ready to try them hand in hand.  Many of us have experienced being sore and tight after a run.  I know that I have; with those tight hamstrings and tight hip flexors and burning calf muscles.  Yoga has the potential to help improve strength, flexibility, and mental focus.  It also eases aches and pains, and helps recover from long runs and races faster.  The combination of yoga poses can help stretch out and loosen up after your runs, which in return will keep your muscles and joints healthy and preventing tightness.  


Check out these websites for more information and for yoga poses:

No comments:

Post a Comment